That is the stark choice that faces more and more members of our own community. As costs of prescription drugs continue to rise and the numbers of uninsured reach all time highs, providing a no cost source for life-saving prescription drugs becomes critical. NC MedAssist exists to provide free medications to the uninsured by qualifying patients for patient assistance programs offered by pharmaceutical companies and dispensing them directly to patients. MedAssist has been in operation since 1997. During the last fiscal year (2012-13), MedAssist dispensed more than $21 million worth of free medication to 10,000 low-income North Carolinians.
NC MedAssist serves as a Community Pharmacy dispensing free prescription medication to our neighbors who are uninsured. Residents of North Carolina can qualify for our services if they are at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level and are without insurance coverage. If you believe that you may be eligible for help with your prescription medication, please call us at 704-536-1790. We can screen you on the phone to let you know how we may be able to assist you.
When: Friday, April 25 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Where: NC MedAssist office, 601 E. 5th Street, Suite 350, Charlotte, NC 28202 (located in the Children and Family Services Building).
- The volunteer run program started in August 2012.
- OTC Giveaway Days’ are scheduled the third Friday of each month, unless there is a major holiday.
- Volunteers at MedAssist sort and distribute the medicine to needy families in the Charlotte community.
- The OTC medicine is also mailed to various free healthcare clinics throughout North Carolina that serve uninsured and low income people.
- Since its inception, MedAssist has distributed over $700,000 in donated OTC medicine.
- At least 250 individuals come to MedAssist for the OTC Giveaway Day to pick up free medicine that they can’t otherwise afford.
Help Needed: Volunteer groups are needed to help sort medicine on delivery days and distribute medicine during monthly giveaways days. Large groups from local businesses, churches, sororities and fraternities are encouraged to contact Emily Mueller at 704.350.3566 or firstname.lastname@example.org.