NC MedAssist Celebrates Heart Month with Free Over-the-Counter Medicine Give Away Day
Friday, February 13, 2015
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
601 E. 5th Street, Charlotte, NC 28202 – First Floor Training Rooms
Children & Family Services Building (5th & Davidson)
Each month, NC MedAssist distributes FREE over-the-counter (OTC) medications to those who attest to a financial need.
NC MedAssist’s goal is to help alleviate the strain on the health care system by providing medications to those who normally use the emergency room for reasons such as fever, minor pain relief and treating cold and flu symptoms.
Providing access to preventative medication is a part of MedAssist’s community outreach. During the February 13th OTC giveaway, several preventative medications that help combat illnesses such as heart disease will be available for FREE; which include:
- Coenzyme Q-10
- Multi-Vitamins (Children and Adult)
- Fish Oil
“By providing access to preventative medications, our community will stay healthier longer. A healthier community means a decrease in the frequency of emergency room visits for common ailments. Our goal is provide the right medications to the uninsured through our Free Pharmacy Program and to also educate the community on ways to prevent illness and live a healthier lifestyle.” – Dustin Allen, Pharmacy Manager, NC MedAssist.
Participants will have the chance to select over-the-counter medications based on their health needs. Other giveaway items include pain relief such as Tylenol and Aleve, children’s medications, digestive medications, and first aid supplies such as band-aids and sunscreen.
- All OTC medicine is free and donated by Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina.
- Volunteers at MedAssist sort and distribute the medicine to families in and around the Greater Mecklenburg area.
- The OTC medicine is also mailed to various free healthcare clinics throughout North Carolina that serve uninsured and low income people.
- Since its inception, MedAssist has distributed over $1.2 million in donated OTC medicine.
- Approximately 4,000 individuals have participated in an OTC Giveaway Day, receiving free medicine that they can’t otherwise afford.
Both volunteer groups and individuals are needed to help sort medicine on delivery days and distribute medicine during monthly giveaways days. Interested individuals and large groups from local businesses, churches, sororities, and fraternities are encouraged to contact Tonia Harris at 704.350.3574 or email@example.com.